If you love the natural surroundings that come with living in San Diego, it’s a shame to shut them out when you walk through your front door. With the right home design, you can enjoy everything nature has to offer. Keep the following tips in mind for your upcoming custom home design+build or whole-home remodel.
Check Out What A Happy Homeowner Had to Say
After an intense process of finding the right Design Build company we choose Eco Minded Solutions for a large home remodel project for our Carlsbad home. From the initial consultation to the completion of the project, everything ran smoothly. The crew was always on time and often worked longer than expected to keep the project on track. Loving our newly remodeled home and would highly recommend Eco Minded!
Create an Indoor Space that Flows to the Outside
The best way to take advantage of your natural surroundings is to blur the line between inside and out. Here are a few ways to do this:
- Trade your small patio door for extra-wide telescoping or folding doors. When you throw these open on a beautiful San Diego day, a welcoming ocean breeze will blow through your entire home.
- Create a covered outdoor living room. Put in a fireplace, mount a TV to the wall, and set up a sofa upholstered in weather-resistant fabric to enjoy all the comforts of home while surrounded by nature.
- Build a screened-in porch where you can soak up the views and enjoy a pleasant breeze while keeping pests at bay.
- Build a sunroom where you can take in 360-degree views of your surroundings without braving the elements.
- Install an outdoor kitchen and dining area so you can cook and eat in your backyard.
Let the Light in
Enjoy natural lighting and decrease your electricity bills with large, energy-efficient windows and skylights. Follow these tips to help you get the most out of your home’s natural light:
- Install oversized windows on the west wall of your home to let you soak up gorgeous sunset views every evening.
- Incorporate windows high on the wall to allow natural light to pour in from above, creating a more natural atmosphere even while you’re indoors.
- Put in a bathroom skylight to provide an abundance of natural light while you get ready in the morning without sacrificing your privacy.
- Install skylights on angled ceilings of under-the-eaves rooms for a unique natural lighting solution.
Plant Trees, Shrubs & Flowers
Choosing some plants that are native to Southern California is a meaningful way to promote a healthy, eco-friendly yard you can be proud of. San Diego’s somewhat tropical yet Mediterranean climate gives homeowners a vast variety of native plants from which to choose. As you design the landscape that surrounds your home, consider selecting plants from below:
- Silver carpet, a ground cover perfect for filling in spaces between flagstone pavers
- Pride of Madeira, a fast-growing shrub with gorgeous purple flower spikes and sage green foliage
- Blue fescue, an ornamental grass with a beautiful blue-green color
- Agave, a succulent well-suited for desert survival
- Aloe, a staple in any San Diego landscape design
- Shoestring Acacia, a medium-sized evergreen desert tree
- Western redbud, a shrub-like deciduous tree with edible magenta flowers
Bring Nature Inside with Colors & Materials
Along with surrounding your home with natural Southern California beauty and building in such a way that you can enjoy it every day, you can design the interior of your home to be more attuned with nature by incorporating natural colors and building materials. Here are some ideas for inspiration:
- Decorate with brown, green, and other subtle, natural hues as much as possible.
- Install mural wallpaper with depictions of nature.
- Leave wood ceiling beams exposed and unpainted.
- Choose wood furniture over metal or plastic.
- Install bamboo flooring for the look of hardwood in a much more eco-friendly package.
- Decorate with natural accents, including wooden figurines, stone bowls, and ceramic vases filled with twigs.
- Set up potted plants to bring nature indoors and clean the air you breathe.
- Burn natural soy candles with pine or floral fragrances to engulf your senses in nature.
If you are interested in remodeling your San Diego home to take advantage of your natural surrounding, or if you’re looking to design a custom home with these features in mind, contact us online today for a design consultation!Request a Consultation
Ready to Learn More? Book a FREE Consultation NowSchedule a Consultation