Green Remodeling Trends for 2018
Are you hoping to complete a home remodeling project in 2018? You probably want the new additions to boost your home’s efficiency, as well as its appearance and functionality. As green living becomes the norm, sustainable remodeling options are increasingly abundant this year than ever before. This gives you plenty of opportunities to remodel your home in eco-friendly ways. Here are the top green remodeling trends we’ve predicted will dominate the remodeling industry in 2018:
As the cost of light emitting diodes (LEDs) continues to fall, their sales remain on the incline. According to the US Department of Energy, LEDs are 75 to 80 percent more efficient than incandescent bulbs, and they even outpace compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) by 10 to 15 percent. Plus, each bulb lasts 25,000 hours compared to 1,000 hours for incandescent bulbs and 10,000 hours for CFLs. If you’re updating your home’s light fixtures in 2018, it’s clear you should use LEDs as a green alternative to other lighting options.
Efficient Appliances & Fixtures
Much of your home’s energy usage comes from your appliances and plumbing fixtures. Here are some of the green trends for 2018 to make a note of:
- ENERGY STAR® “Most Efficient” appliances perform more efficiently than any other products on the market.
- WaterSense toilets, faucets, and showerheads are water-saving products that meet the EPA’s specifications for efficiency and performance.
- Convection ovens cook food 25 percent faster than conventional ovens, thanks to a fan that circulates the heat.
- Top-and-bottom refrigerator/freezer units are more efficient than side-by-side models because they retain cold air more efficiently.
- Front-loading washing machines use less water per cycle than top-loading models.
- Geothermal heat pumps are the most efficient option for home heating and cooling.
Smart Home Automation
Smart homes gained traction in 2017, and it looks as though interest in automating home systems will continue to increase in 2018 as well. Falling prices, expanded product selection, and improved “bug” fixes are driving this green remodeling trend. A few energy-saving home automation options include:
- Lighting: Did your child leave the light on in his room—again? With automated home lighting, you can set timers or turn lights on and off from anywhere.
- HVAC: Programmable thermostats are energy-saving additions, but Wi-Fi-enabled models are even more advanced, allowing you to check the temperature and make adjustments while you’re away from home.
- Irrigation: An automated sprinkler system incorporates water sensors and the weather forecast to prevent you from watering the lawn when Mother Nature already has it under control.
Organic & Locally-Sourced Building & Design Materials
From reducing transportation pollution with locally sourced materials to improving indoor air quality by choosing chemical-free organic textiles, there is much to be gained with this green remodeling trend of 2018. Some of your options include:
- Organic cotton: Conventionally farmed cotton is sprayed with pesticides, which harms the environment and introduces chemicals into your home. Look for textiles made from organic cotton to show your support for farmers who avoid this toxic growing technique.
- Recycled stone: This product is a primary component in stone-chipped composite countertops, which resemble granite and prove just as durable without cutting new rock from a quarry.
- Reclaimed wood: Popular for flooring, accent walls, and other home features, reclaimed wood can add tremendous character to your home without contributing to the crisis of deforestation.
If you’re interested in remodeling your home in an eco-friendly way this year, Eco Minded Solutions can help! We are San Diego’s premier green home builder and remodeler. Contact us online today to schedule a consultation.
Read our reviews on Houzz. 4.7 stars from 32 reviews.