4 Eco-Friendly Landscape Construction Techniques
In San Diego, sustainability is naturally a part of our lifestyle.
Clean beaches, conscious water usage, and overall green living all comes with the local SoCal territory.
Our beautiful beach city stays wonderful because of every action we do as citizens. We value natural beauty and keeping our home looking stunning, the way it has always been and is meant to be.
DID YOU KNOW? You can save water at home without sacrificing the beauty of your lawn by using drought tolerant plants and succulents like Coast Rosemary, Callistemons, Panda, Medicine, Jade, and Snake plants. Read more helpful drought tolerant landscaping ideas.
“Wherever possible we choose materials that will reduce our environmental footprint while producing a beautiful long lasting landscape.”
Melanie Conomikes. Project Director – Eco Minded Solutions
Eco-Friendly Landscape Construction We Love!
At Eco Minded Solutions, we take green living San Diego lifestyle to heart by implementing it into everything we do. Here are some of our favorite eco-friendly landscape construction techniques from past projects.
From the first laying of mulch to the last bush planted, our San Diego Landscape Construction team ensures every step in our construction process is eco-friendly with an emphasis on luxurious lifestyles.
1. Recycled Mulch
- Down to the foundation, we use environmentally conscious materials like recycled mulch.
- Use mulch as a ground cover over bare soil and around plants to help with irrigation and water evaporation. We are in the middle of the drought and the last thing we want is for you water bills to go through the roof.
Fun Fact About Recycling Mulch: During a 10-year rain event, Miramar Greenery mulch, applied to a depth of four inches, completely protected a 2:1 slope from erosion and reduced runoff by 50%.
2. Demolition Materials Recycled
- Legally Sustainable! We are dedicated to sustainability down to every scrap of extra material and legal requirement. In order to remain legally sustainable, 90 percent of inert material and 70 percent of all other materials are recycled.
- We do NOT to send to the landfill. Our San Diego Landscape Designers work with you to select designs that use materials efficiently. In other words, any available option we present to you has been designed for unused materials to be recycled.
Fun Fact About Recycling Demolition Materials: Source-separation helps create higher-end markets for recyclables, such as the manufacture of new recycled-content building materials.
3. Composite Wood Decking
- Recycled wood and recycled plastic film are what make composite wood decking the most eco-friendly material for your outdoor decking needs.
- Most composite wood is made from: sawdust, used plastic milk jugs, and shopping bags.
- Composite wood costs less than wood and requires less maintenance over time than wood does.
Fun Fact About Using Composite Wood Decking: 500-square foot composite Trex deck contains 140,000 recycled plastic bags!
4. Local Stone
- Carroll Canyon and Mission Cobble are two of the local stone companies we have partnered with to provide the best selection, variety, and inventory of natural stone available.
- We source our stone locally for less of a petroleum footprint by keeping our suppliers local. Not only does this cut down the negative effects on the environment, it also supports our San Diego community.
Fun Fact About Using Local Stone: Sourcing stone locally cuts down on our carbon footprint and petroleum usage because of less transportation.
Featured Project: Coronado Courtyard Transformation
Small spaces can be transformed into creative entertainment areas that invite conversation. View the Full Project Gallery
This Coronado courtyard received a face-lift transforming an underutilized space into a thriving outdoor living room. Warmth is given to this revitalized courtyard though the use of warm redwood veneer and a custom fire bar. Repeating materials throughout the space makes for a cohesive design.
Eco-Friendly Approach – It’s in Our Nature!
Whether interested in eco-friendly landscaping, elegant backyard remodeling, or just irrigation systems and water conservation, our designers specialize in creative techniques that save you money while helping to preserve the environment for our children.
Contact our design team for a free consultation in the San Diego and Southern California area.
Read our reviews on Houzz. 4.7 stars from 29 reviews.