Intuit Earth Day Event 2015: Tips for What You Can Do Everyday
We had a great time at the Intuit Earth Day event on April 30th, 2015 and want to share our experience. Read this post to learn more about our involvement in the event and how Intuit’s Green Team practices corporate responsibility.
Let’s make Earth Day, Everyday!
At the event, part of our Eco Minded team, Josh Rosenthal and Scott Hilton shared water wise concepts and drought tolerant landscaping ideas in San Diego with the community. It was a motivational meeting for everyone involved to make a difference in their communities by practicing sustainable landscaping techniques.
The Intuit Green Team states their mission is to:
“Spread the notions of sustainability in global business and the communities we do business in through event management, charitable endeavors, altruistic green movements, social media, and allied coordination with non-profit organizations like the 128 Business Council and the Salvation Army. Together we can make tomorrow a brighter future.”
We Believe Everyday Should Be Earth’s Day!
Every April 22nd, the global population celebrates earth day.
We all attempt to “respect Earth” more on this date, whether it’s by recycling, being water wise with our lawns, and maybe even biking to work instead.
The earth deserves to be treated this way everyday, especially during a historic drought, global warming, and more. When more of us care and take action we can make a bigger difference.
At Eco Minded Solutions we applaud Intuit for hosting this event and their mission for sustainability in global business!
There’s more that all of us can do everyday! Don’t you think?
Why only recycle and be water wise on Earth day?
Everyday is Earth’s day and we should encourage our communities to treat it as so. After all we only have one Earth! That’s why we completely support Intuit’s movement to “Race to Zero Waste”!
Intuit Earth Day & Corporate Responsibility
Intuit takes their green goals seriously. Large and small companies alike can make a real difference if they try and it means everything for our earth. Perhaps if we better educated younger people today then they may not have to live on Mars in the future!
Intuit green goals include:
- Considering sustainability in all of their decisions.
- Engaging employee’s hearts and minds with their goals.
- Partnering with dedicated environmental groups.
What YOU can do to make a difference every day
The information below is inspired by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau the joyful vegan.
- Drive Less: It’s better for your wallet and for our planet. Try to walk or cycle while you avoid your vehicle. You can also try carpooling to work to lower your environmental impact overall.
- Grow Your Own Food: Try to eliminate someone else growing all your food to reduce resources used to transport food. Small backyard gardens will make a big difference and they are tasty!
- Conserve Water: If you live in California and other drought prone areas you hear this consistently. You can catch rain water and use it to irrigate your backyard garden. One cool idea from Colleen is to change the house plumbing so that gray water (showers & bathrooms sinks) is diverted outside as part of irrigation. In this case make sure not to pour harmful chemicals down the drain.
- Eat Plant-Based: By skipping the middle animals and getting our nutrients directly from the source (plants), we resude resources, demonstrate our compassion for animals, and leave a smaller footprint on the earth. Not everyone is fit to be a vegan or vegetarian but you can always eat locally to make a big difference and support the community.
- Use Free-Cycle: Your junk is another person’s treasure or vice versa. There are many ways to post your “free to a good home” items online. There are list-servs, databases, and other methods to give away free items. This also works both ways, you can pick up other’s free items as well. Good outlets for this are craigslist, Facebook, and even putting items on your sidewalk.
Read our reviews on Houzz. 4.7 stars from 32 reviews.