Perfect Plants for a Tropical Landscape in San Diego
The trick to keeping your tropical landscape sustainable is to choose plants native to Southern California. By planting layers of trees and flowers that are accustomed to growing here, it’s easier to keep your landscape lush with less water. Here are six drought-tolerant plants we recommend for water-wise gardeners hoping to create a tropical look:
- Plumeria trees: The fragrant blossoms of the plumeria tree often adorn Hawaiian leis with their perfect petals of yellow, white, orange, pink, and other varieties. Plumerias don’t require much water once they’re established, and they even thrive in poor soil. Just make sure you choose a well-drained location in full sun to maximize flower production.
- Bromeliads: These tropical flowers thrive in warm temperatures and partial shade. Bromeliads don’t need much water and will slowly spread across your garden if left un-pruned.
- Palm trees: You see palm trees growing everywhere in San Diego, so it’s no surprise they could work well in your garden. The pygmy date palm is an especially good choice if your neighborhood has height restrictions since they don’t grow over 10 feet.
- Birds of paradise: Take a drive around Southern California and you’ll notice gardens full of these iconic flowers. They’re very easy to grow—in fact, their biggest dislike is too much water. Once their roots are established, they need very little maintenance to grow, thrive, and bloom showy orange flowers every spring.
- Pineapple guava trees: The edible white and red flowers of this tree make it a stand-out feature in your tropical San Diego garden. The fruit that follows in the fall is equally as delicious. Plant your pineapple guava trees in full sun and water only occasionally once they’re established.
- Hibiscus: This recognizable tropical shrub blooms with flowers in stunning hues of purple, pink, red, and other flashy colors. Hibiscus plants prefer full sun and are very drought tolerant.
Other Features of a Tropical Backyard Oasis
Trees and flowers are only part of your at-home tropical getaway. Make your yard feel like pure paradise with these additional features:
- Backyard tiki bar: Why not put a beachside tiki bar right in your yard? Complete the experience with a grill, outdoor fridge stocked with margarita ingredients, and barstools for dining alfresco.
- Outdoor living room: Build a deck or patio and fill it with outdoor furniture to enjoy your tropical oasis on gorgeous Southern California evenings.
- Fire pit: A custom fire pit creates just the right ambiance, inviting friends and family to mingle into the night. You can also spend quiet evenings reading by firelight.
- Water features: There’s nothing like the sound of falling water to transport you to an oasis. A gurgling fountain or custom waterfall could be just what your tropical garden needs.
Create a Tropical Landscape in San Diego
If a tropical landscape perfectly suits your personal style, then Eco Minded Solutions is the landscaper you need to make it happen! Our landscaping team boasts years of experience creating gorgeous, drought-tolerant landscapes throughout the San Diego area. We’re ready to help you bring your dream landscape to life.
Contact us online today to set up a design consultation for your tropical landscape in San Diego!Request a Consultation