Tropical Landscaping in San Diego, CA
If you’re thinking about redoing the landscape architecture outside your San Diego home, it’s important to take our warm temperatures and minimal rainfall into account. You might love the idea of a tranquil tropical oasis right in your backyard, but is it possible to recreate a Hawaiian paradise in drought-stricken Southern California? With the right low-water plants and other garden features, it certainly is!
Let Eco Minded Solutions help you design the perfect tropical landscape with sustainability in mind. Contact us today to learn more about our eco-friendly landscaping techniques.
Check Out What A Happy Homeowner Had to Say
After an intense process of finding the right Design Build company we choose Eco Minded Solutions for a large home remodel project for our Carlsbad home. From the initial consultation to the completion of the project, everything ran smoothly. The crew was always on time and often worked longer than expected to keep the project on track. Loving our newly remodeled home and would highly recommend Eco Minded!
Perfect Plants for a Tropical Landscape in San Diego
The trick to keeping your tropical landscape sustainable is to choose plants native to Southern California. By planting layers of trees and flowers that are accustomed to growing here, it’s easier to keep your landscape lush with less water. Here are six drought-tolerant plants we recommend for water-wise gardeners hoping to create a tropical look:
- Plumeria trees: The fragrant blossoms of the plumeria tree often adorn Hawaiian leis with their perfect petals of yellow, white, orange, pink, and other varieties. Plumerias don’t require much water once they’re established, and they even thrive in poor soil. Just make sure you choose a well-drained location in full sun to maximize flower production.
- Bromeliads: These tropical flowers thrive in warm temperatures and partial shade. Bromeliads don’t need much water and will slowly spread across your garden if left un-pruned.
- Palm trees: You see palm trees growing everywhere in San Diego, so it’s no surprise they could work well in your garden. The pygmy date palm is an especially good choice if your neighborhood has height restrictions since they don’t grow over 10 feet.
- Birds of paradise: Take a drive around Southern California and you’ll notice gardens full of these iconic flowers. They’re very easy to grow—in fact, their biggest dislike is too much water. Once their roots are established, they need very little maintenance to grow, thrive, and bloom showy orange flowers every spring.
- Pineapple guava trees: The edible white and red flowers of this tree make it a stand-out feature in your tropical San Diego garden. The fruit that follows in the fall is equally as delicious. Plant your pineapple guava trees in full sun and water only occasionally once they’re established.
- Hibiscus: This recognizable tropical shrub blooms with flowers in stunning hues of purple, pink, red, and other flashy colors. Hibiscus plants prefer full sun and are very drought tolerant.
Other Features of a Tropical Backyard Oasis
Trees and flowers are only part of your at-home tropical getaway. Make your yard feel like pure paradise with these additional features:
- Backyard tiki bar: Why not put a beachside tiki bar right in your yard? Complete the experience with a grill, outdoor fridge stocked with margarita ingredients, and barstools for dining alfresco.
- Outdoor living room: Build a deck or patio and fill it with outdoor furniture to enjoy your tropical oasis on gorgeous Southern California evenings.
- Fire pit: A custom fire pit creates just the right ambiance, inviting friends and family to mingle into the night. You can also spend quiet evenings reading by firelight.
- Water features: There’s nothing like the sound of falling water to transport you to an oasis. A gurgling fountain or custom waterfall could be just what your tropical garden needs.
FAQs About Tropical Landscaping
Living in San Diego County means trying bold landscaping approaches for your property. Tropical landscaping happens to be one of the most intriguing options.
Creating that distinctive environment in your backyard can be a boon for your property’s value. Even if you are not planning to sell anytime soon, the tropical landscape can still be a fantastic addition to your home because of the new dimension it provides. Find out more about tropical landscaping by reading the FAQs below.
How Do You Make a Tropical Landscape?
Creating a tropical landscape begins with choosing the right plants. Target bamboo, banana, and palm trees specifically because they feature that signature tropical look. If you have a pond on your property, you should also consider adding lilies to give it a more tropical feel.
Those without a pond can install a waterfall to achieve the target look.
Hardscaping remains an option, but you must be more selective when choosing materials. Lava rocks are great, and you can complement them with multi-colored pebbles.
What Are the Features of a Tropical Landscape?
You can describe a tropical landscape as lively. Plants are prominently featured in that setup because they can breathe life into any landscaping arrangement.
You also need to be mindful of colors if your goal is to create a tropical landscape. Pick out bright colors and use them to decorate your backyard. Choosing varied colors is also crucial.
Lastly, you will need a water fixture in your tropical landscape. Ponds and waterfalls are great choices, but swimming pools work too.
What Is the Meaning of a Tropical Landscape?
Tropical landscapes should be evocative of a destination. They should make you feel like you are at your favorite seaside location.
Notably, tropical landscapes can also be quite versatile. The specific elements you feature on your property do not need to meet any hyper-specific guidelines. As long as it produces that tropical vibe, you can add it to your property.
Create a Tropical Landscape in San Diego
If a tropical landscape perfectly suits your personal style, then Eco Minded Solutions is the landscaper you need to make it happen! Our landscaping team boasts years of experience creating gorgeous, drought-tolerant landscapes throughout the San Diego area. We’re ready to help you bring your dream landscape to life.
Contact us online today to set up a design consultation for your tropical landscape in San Diego!
Ready to Learn More? Book a FREE Consultation NowSchedule a Consultation